Studies show that being part of a team is extremely beneficial for adolescents. When most parents hear the word “team”, they immediately think team sports. While being a part of a sports team can be an amazing experience for many teenagers, the truth is that sports may not be a great fit for everyone. For example, if your daughter doesn’t enjoy sports or feels that she is not as skilled as the rest of the team, then being involved in sports may even have a negative effect on the her confidence level.
Odyssey Of The Mind: The Team Sport That Isn’t A Sport
The good news is that there are many other ways for your daughter to be a part of a “team” outside of traditional team sports. One incredible example of this is a program called Odyssey of the Mind (OotM). This international educational program allows adolescents (age Kindergarten through college) to work together as teams to creatively solve problems, including many STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) related objectives. These teams receive the opportunity to present their work at local, state, and international competitions.
5 Ways Participation In OotM Can Boost Your Daughter’s Confidence:
- Team Building – Research shows that the team-building experience positively affects a child’s sense of self-worth. One of the things that makes OotM so special is that they emphasize out-of-the-box thinking. Your daughter will be able to share her input in a fun learning environment without the fear of being criticized.
- Creative Thinking – Your daughter will have the opportunity to think creatively about the problem at hand. This creative thinking skill will ultimately translate to other areas of her life and allow her to realize that it’s advantageous looking at problems and situations from several angles.
- Problem Solving – Interactive learning programs help adolescents discover how to analyze problems. Instead of simply seeing the problem and being overwhelmed by it, they gain the ability to break down the problem and solve it one step at a time. This is another skill that will benefit your daughter in every area of life (and at any age too)!
- Interest In Learning – Having such a positive experience participating in OotM will likely cultivate your daughter’s love for learning in general. Schoolwork will become more interesting and enjoyable as she applies the skills she has developed in Odyssey of the Mind.
- Community – Lastly, OotM provides a wonderful opportunity for your daughter to simply be a part of a community. Such a safe, fun environment is an ideal place for her to form positive relationships with peers and make memories that will last a lifetime.
How To Get Connected With Odyssey Of The Mind
If you want to take the next step in getting your daughter involved with Odyssey of the Mind, the best way to get connected is by reaching out to your local contact. Your local contact will be able to provide you with more information about teams and events in your area.
Visit our Girl Talk forum and tell us about programs, activities, or sports that believe have positively affected your daughter. Join us on Facebook and share your experience.