Notice: Undefined index: disable_url in /home/girlpowe/public_html/wp-content/plugins/tweetthis/includes/share-handler.php on line 321
Mergers and acquisitions have become part of our daily lives and it is more important more than ever that we learn to stay relevant in our careers. What does it mean to be relevant? It means keeping up with trends within your industry, being knowledgeable about technology, well connected with peers and superiors and generally active in your organization.
Whether you are just starting out or a high level executive, it’s important to consider how you are perceived within your organization as well as in your industry. It isn’t enough to be really good at what you do. You have to consciously make an effort to expand beyond your comfort zone in order to keep an edge for tomorrow.
We are all super busy. Believe it or not, the busier we find ourselves, the more important it actually is for us to work on staying relevant. Being marketable starts with visibility. And of course, the more senior level we become, the harder it seems to find time to maintain important connections and showcase our talent! Make the time — you will be glad you did!
10 Career Tips To Stay Relevant in Times Of Change
- Embrace Technology: Commit to learning the platforms that your company is using. You don’t have to be an expert, but knowing the basic navigation of each technology — from conference technology to sharing information — will help you communicate effectively across teams.
- Leverage yourself internally: Don’t stay in a silo. Expand across departments and become knowledgeable in multiple areas within your organization.
- Resist the temptation to be an introvert. Get Out There!
- Learn Social Media: Your profile on LinkedIn, Twitter and other social platforms matters. Take an online course, watch YouTube tutorials and stay in touch with latest trends. Profile advice: make sure you have a good head shot with a smile! Brandon Gaille
- Network Daily: Spend 5-10 minutes internally and 5-10 minutes externally networking every day and you’ll have a thriving network to reach out to for advice when you need it most.
- Find Speaking Opportunities: Start with Toast Masters if you feel nervous about public speaking. Once you are comfortable, join organizations where you can share your knowledge. Promote your speaking on LinkedIn.
- Mentor/Sponsor: Everyone benefits from both mentors and sponsors. Even if you yourself are both, you need someone to help guide you on decisions and have your back internally when you are not present.
- Continued Education: Whether you have an advanced degree or not, your industry is constantly changing. Make a point to take a course once a quarter and learn something new. Share your knowledge with your team and network.
- Take Action: Don’t wait to raise your hand or make sure you have everything on a list of qualifications for a career move. Express an interest in advancement and find out what you need to do and then…do it! Too often we wait for perfection, which is unattainable.
- Be Responsive: One of the quickest ways to be dismissed from a short list of candidates is if they view you as non-responsive. This includes emails, calls and meetings. Engage, attend, respond and be present. You will be remembered for the time you are there…and also the times you weren’t.
What 3 things on this list are you willing to make a daily habit? Start out your week with a goal and move towards it each day by spending 5-10 minutes on one of the three items on your list. Share with us on Facebook, we love hearing from you. This is your time. You got this!